Thursday, March 27, 2008

Oh, the cookie-cutter college system...

One of my biggest pet peeves about school is how seriously overloaded students are when they come back from a vacation. Honestly, I'm sure professors are still adjusting back from break mode, so why can't they make it easier for themselves and for us to just ease back into the routine of gauging our eyeballs our nightly over assigned reading and writing papers we don't give a shit about? It's silly how they bombard us with even MORE stuff than we'd normally be assigned to cover lost time. It's called a break for a reason. One of my teachers even thought it'd be funny to give us a midterm two days after returning from spring break. What a hoot, huh?! That's a whole ordeal I'd rather not get into, though.

Instead, I'd like to talk about one of my most recent concerns regarding this college life, and that's what exactly I am going to school for. I'm so jealous of people who have a determined head set on their shoulders, life's plans already written in the back of their mind and a clear-cut view of the future just beyond the mountaintops. You know who I'm talking about... the business students who are going to apply straight into firms post-grad, the pre-meds cramming their Bio and Chem credits in now so they can take those fall back career credits, JUST IN CASE... I have a friend who applied into a six-year pharmacy program at St. Johns, and she's going to be able to walk into any drugstore and start selling prescription meds the minute she graduates. WHY COULDN'T I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THAT KIND OF INNER GUIDANCE?

My college orientation leaders gave my group great advice over the summer, and that was to fulfill all of our MAP requisites (or basic degree reqs, for non-NYU folk) as soon as possible. Great, so now I've gotten all of my CAS degree requirements out of the way... and I still don't know what major I want to declare. Hey, I'm fucked three ways from Sunday! I'm debating either transferring into other schools to do (a) a Studio Art major, or (b) an individualized course of study to pursue a major that's involved with graphic/media art, like digital design and photography and video editing. But part of me worries about how much I'll really love this, if I'll get bored. Maybe I should go into advertisement? Or public relations... I don't really know. UGH FUCK MY LIFE. There is so much I would potentially want to get into, and I wish there was one way to mesh it all together to make my heart and mind happy at the same time. I guess a little more experimentation in the kitchen is necessary since I haven't figured out my own recipe to happiness.

But less bleakly... party this weekend is going to be intensely off the chain. Won't give out much details before the fact, but if I go down for this one.... I'll be going down proudly. A captain with her ship! Time to call it a night. Au revoir, mes cheries.

No comments: